Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Thrifty family fun


For those readers who may not know, my husband Dan is quite the biker. (He has actually biked across the country, but that is a story for another blog) He has tried to get me into biking for years but has pretty much admitted defeat. Lucky for him we now have another family member he can try to mold into a biker. Although it may seem like I am shamelessly using my blog to post cute pictures of my family there are actually relevant thrifty deals in the above picture.
1. The bike - my bike was stolen off the rack behind our apartment building. There is some debate between Dan and I as to whether or not it was actually locked up at all when it was stolen, but again I digress. This blue bike, pictured above, had been sitting unused with a flat tire for almost a year when Dan asked our building manager if he knew anything about it. It appeared to have been left behind by an old tenant. Dan reclaimed it, fixed the tire, gave it a quick tune up and I had a new bike for free.
2. Baby bike seat - a hand-me-down from JJ. Friendship is thrifty!
3. Baby bike helmet - found at goodwill for $2.
4. Bike basket - found out goodwill for $1 and fastened on with zip ties.
Total cost of family outing - $3. Recruiting another biker to the family - priceless.

No comments: