Friday, August 3, 2007

A melancholy goodbye



This old cookbook is one of my all time favorite thrift store finds. I grew up cooking out of this book and when I first started getting into old cookbooks it was one of the first I looked for. Unfortunately it was then that I discovered that I am not the only person with a nostalgic streak. This old cookbook with its liberal use of shortening and processed cheese is actually highly coveted in the world of used merchandise. The first time I saw it at a thrift store it was actually in the hands of another woman who I followed around for the rest of her shopping journey to make sure she didn't put it down. I went home disappointed that day (and the women probably went home a little frightened), but I did manage to find it again. Actually I have found it three times again and have bought it three times. (once for only 1$) Now I think it is time to let go of some of my extra copies of this great thrift store find so today I added one to Ebay and passed one on to my mom whose copy has long since disintegrated. In the face of this goodbye I thought I would dedicate a blog entry to this beautiful thrift store find and cookbook nostalgia in general. A moment of silence please..............thanks.

No comments: